South America Travel Blog

Monday, July 04, 2005

Paragliding first solo flight

I did my first two solo flights today from a 600 meter hill. The first flight was supposed to be a very controlled one, I had a walky talky with me, and the idea was that the instructor would guide me through the whole flight, and all I have to do is follow his instructions precisely. The take off perfect, and it was captured on video, I am uploading this video now to my web storage : www.streamload.com/whendawi/pictures .

After I got in the air I realized that my walky talky was not working, it was completely silent, and I realized that I was completely on my own on my first flight. The first thing I had to deal was that I was heading into a mountain, so I broke to the right away from it, then I looked to see where the landing site was and I directed the wing towards it. I was quite tense during the flight, and there was some turbulence in the air that made the wing swing right and left. As I was approaching that landing site, I looked at the wind bag, and I approached the landing site from the direction opposite to the one the wind was coming from. As I got closer to the landing site , I could see the guy in charge of guiding me to land, and he shouted and signaled in his hand what I should do, at some point I wanted to turn left towards the landing site, but he kept saying I should still go more right, so I did what he said, but I ended up landing short of the landing site, I think if I had just followed my instincts I would have made it to the landing site, but anyway missing the landing spot is quite common in this sport, as the winds often change at the last minute. As the ground was getting closer, I felt that my legs were too tense, and I doubted whether they are going to respond to me when I touch down, anyway I realized I was going to land right into some bushes separating two fields, and I decided there is no point trying to run, so I just sat down and landing on my seat. I was generally ok , except for my troublesome right ankle, which hit the ground hard and was hurting, and the wing which was tangled in the bushes, and needed some work to be freed.

The second take off was very smooth again, the trip was a bit more turbulent than the first flight, and I was feeling quite tense again. But this time I was determined to run when touching down, so I starting taking some deep breaths, and preparing my self mentally for the task, as I approached the landing site the wind changed directions and I got orders to cross to the other side of the landing site, then turn around and land, which I did, and although I did not break correctly at the last second, I ran as I touched the ground and I had a very smooth landing, which I felt very satisfied about.

After that I told them I had enough for the day, so I got the task of driving the old Ford SUV down the mountain, while the three guys did their solo flights. Driving the car down was no less exciting and fun than the Paragliding, as the road was quite twisted and with very deep side cliffs.

1 Comments:

  • Il hamdilla ala salamtak ;-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home