South America Travel Blog

Friday, November 11, 2005

The Fitz Roy


The second trek is the one leading to the Fitz Roy, a granite massif. It is the more difficult of the two but the more rewarding as well. The last part of the trek is a one hour climb leading to a great view point of the Firz Roy and the two lakes at its base. The wind got very strong during this climb, it was so strong in fact that sometimes I had to crouch and wait until it calmed down. Luckily I purchased a good wind breaker when I was in Bariloche, which I think is the best thing you can take with you to Patagonia (a decent wind breaker), as this is one of the windiest places in the world at this time of the year. I was not about to quit despite the strong wind and the threats of rain and snow (which in the end did not materialize), I decided that unless the weather physically prevents me from continuing I was not going to stop. In the end I made it to the top, which can be best described as a front row seat for viewing the Fitz Roy, the only problem is that the Fitz Roy did not show up, or at least only half of it did, the top half was covered by clouds, but that seems to be the norm, and you have to be very lucky to get a clear view of the whole massif. The view was still amazing though, and another ten minute walk up a small hill, provided a great view of Lago Sucia (dirty lake), which has a beautiful turquoise color. The other lake (Lago de Los Tres), which sets higher, was completely frozen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home