South America Travel Blog

Friday, May 13, 2005

Cusco

Cusco is one of the most popular touristic destinations in south America, so it is no surprise that the main streets are full of people trying to sell you their goods or tours, rather aggressively sometimes, the first day here I was constantly harassed while walking in the main square, by the sales people of the tour agencies. The interesting thing is that the next day, when I changed my tourist cloth ; hiking pants, boots, sun glasses , and just put on a jeans and normal shoes, I didn´t get harassed anymore, I could see these sales people giving me a glance and then deciding I am probably a local, and moving their attention to somebody else .

One of the down sides of being in such a touristic place, is that the guides speak English. This may sound strange to you, you would probably think it´s a blessing that that do speak English. But I would really rather they just explained things in Spanish, for starters I am trying to learn Spanish, and would like to use every opportunity to improve my listening and understanding skills, but the worst part is that I have to struggle to understand half of what they are saying in English, as they either do not pronounce the words correctly or don´t pronounce them clearly and completely. But I do understand that the people here are eager to speak English for the same reasons I want to speak Spanish, they want to use every opportunity to practice and improve there language.

Last night I found this nice pub while walking around, its rather small, inside there were a few guys with guitars having a jam session, there was also a women drumming on what I think is some kind of African drum, later a guy came in and joined the with his harmonica. The best performance though was by an Irish guy who sang a lovely Irish folk song without any accompanying music, I think you would really need to have a very nice voice to sing with no accompanying music , and to still sound good. Anyway if you are into music and do visit Cusco check this place out , it is called ´Muse´and it is at the San Blas square.

BTW I read all your comments, but if you don´t leave me an email address I can´t reply to it (fellowship of sagantec)

1 Comments:

  • By the way, what about an Atom feed of your blog, so we (Or at least "I") get notified as soon as you update:

    http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=698&topic=36

    Jeroen

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home