South America Travel Blog

Saturday, December 03, 2005

Pucon Volcano Climb Take 2


I decided to climb the Volcano next to Pucon another time. It all started when I heard from a few people that just returned from the volcano, they told me that saw lava, apparently the volcano has been quite active for the last two days, and the weather was good, permitting a clear view of the inside of the volcano. I was tempted and decided to give it another go, maybe I will see lava this time. It was 20:30 in the evening, I hurried to the travel agency, asked for second time discount, got it, and I booked my trip for the next morning, then I hurried to the supermarket to buy some snacks for the trip.

I woke up in the morning to find a cover of cloud over the town, but when I got to the office they told me it was going to be a nice day, and after driving for a while we broke out through the layer of mist that was covering the valley, and we were under a clear blue sky. There was a big German group with us, apparently on an organized trip in Chile, and there guide was translating all instructions to German, so I had to hear everything twice, once in English and then in German.

Midway through the climb the weather started to change and I had the feeling of Deja Vu. It was quite fascinating to see the process of cloud formation from close, white patches just appeared from no where, these patches got thicker and thicker as the wind blow them up the mountain, accumulating around the top of the volcano, but this was not a good sign, and soon we were engulfed by fog, and visibility became limited to a few meters. This did not get better as we got closer to the top, the wind just got stronger and colder, I made it to the top for the second time, this time much more comfortably, I did not feel so tired as the last time.

We headed down sliding most of the way, and when I reached the bottom I was sun burnt but wet and cold at the same time, but worst of all, with the disappointment of leaving the volcano for second time without getting a glimpse of that lava.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home